Wednesday, November 23, 2005

NaNoWriMo home stretch

I'm in the home stretch of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). I'm at 47,600 words tonight, after slamming out 7,300 words in about three hours. That's some fast writing there, ladies and gents. I rule. My story is quite weak, but I sure can type fast. Anyway, I should be done with it tomorrow sometime, and will keep on keeping on with this story afterward. I may "win" NaNoWriMo at 50,000 words, but my story is quite a long way from finished. I'd say it's on course for 200,000 words (oh my God, that's like 800 pages. Dream on, dude.). Any eaves-reading family members: KEEP ASKING ME HOW MY NOVEL IS COMING ALONG OR I'LL DROP IT LIKE A BAD HABIT AND GO BACK TO VIDEO GAMES AND OTHER...ER, BAD HABITS!! My lazy ass needs accountability or I shall founder.

I was seriously nervous about putting out 200 pages in 30 days, but I see it is possible, and not even overly difficult. It breaks down to 1,667 words a day, which really isn't much. I can do that in about an hour if I turn off the internal editor and just go with the flow. The only problem with going by the seat of my pants is that I just sort of float around and create characters that I don't have any idea what to do with. The book that the founder of NaNoWriMo wrote is called "No Plot? No Problem!" for a reason. I have no real discernable storyline here. Well, that's not exactly true now. A few days ago, I took a couple of nights off from churning out the tripe and sat down to actually try to hack out a story arc of some kind. It's more like a slight slant, a bit of a curve, a tease of a wriggle, than it is an "arc" right now, but it's under construction. Tonight, I realized a great way to get some story going: start a war! Hey, if Bush can do it, I can, too! I just made up some enemies for my protagonists and bingo! Instant drama, and it boosts the economy too, right George?

Anyway, slight jabs at my boss and commander-in-chief aside, I'm quite proud of my accomplishments with the book. Anyone wondering when it may be available for me to share with you, I would say about 365 days from the day I finish the first draft. When will I finish the first draft? Well, I'd say there's a strong possiblity I never will, if ya want some brutal honesty. But, if I keep this up, I'd say by March or so (of 2006, not 2017, as you may suspect) I will have the first draft banged out in all its bondoed, slapdash, horseshit glory. So, I will tentatively say that in March 2007 you will be able to request from me an unwieldy, huge version of a second-(third-? seventh-?)rate fantasy novel written by someone you know. That will be the only "novel" thing about this unoriginal crap-heap: that you know the author. Ha!

Enough self-hatred. It's late and I'm tired. Off I go to bed, and to awaken... to victory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home