Saturday, February 25, 2006

The new project: "Robbie Singh"

Welp, not that it's surprising, but the NaNoWriMo novel hasn't been touched for weeks and weeks now. Granted, I was away at NCO Academy in Texas for the past six weeks, but I still packed away everything from the book -- the draft, the notes, the diagrams, everything -- into my writing file before I left. I tell myself I'll get back to it one day, but as complex and difficult as it is, I honestly don't know if I ever will. The characters are just so dull, and take themselves so damned seriously.

Anyway, I'm on to my next endeavor. It's a novel based on my one successful (and published) short story, "Robbie Singh." I started it last night, got a couple of thousand words done on it. It's so easy to write compared to the Nano novel. He speaks very plain so it flows out quickly. Finding some way to make it interesting, and for some things to happen to this guy, now that's gonna be a huge challenge. I think he's compelling in the confines of a 5,000 or so word short story, but fleshing him out and putting him realistically in the middle of some interesting conflict is going to be hard.

I get discouraged that I never finish any of the long works I try. I always bog down in the middle, and then REALIZE that I'm in the middle of the tough and barren middle stretch (which should make it easier to get out of), but give up anyway. I can only hope that I get back to the "Tower Away" and other in-progress works later on.

I am pretty excited about the Robbie Singh novel. Of course, it would be easy to verbally wreck myself and say that I'm ALWAYS excited about new projects in the beginning -- and it's true -- but I must try to stop talking negatively to myself all the time. It doesn't help. In any case, everyone who read the story says they like the character, and I do myself too, but I can't let my feelings toward this nice guy keep me from sending trouble, conflict, and unpleasantness his direction. I'll just take it a day at a time on this book. I will do my best to make a brief entry in here every night after I'm done writing. Mostly a word count, and I might even do it in my offline journal instead. Whatever. No one reads this anyway.

Over and out for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home